What is Automatic Call Distribution System?
ACD is a telephony software system that assigns or routes the incoming calls to different departments or agents within the company.
ACD helps in streamlining customer calls – where the conventional phone system is unable to handle the load of incoming calls, ACD works by organizing the calls in a queue.
How does Automatic Call Distribution system work?
Automatic Call Distribution System is a technical system that uses CTI (Computer Telephony Integration) systems and the IVR (Interactive Voice Response) technology. The calls that are coming in are enabled to get distributed intelligently by using this method.
When a customer calls, he first may get to interact with the IVR or may not. With or without IVR, the caller is first offered the option to resolve the issue on a self basis or through the use of an automated system; where manual intervention is not required.
However, if the caller is required to speak to a live agent, ACD takes over.
- ACD systems can consider the incoming number, call volume, and other aspects, for making a decision.
- The decision can be based on the agent’s availability, the volume they are handling, or based on any other criteria specific to each organization.
- It then automatically connects the call to the selected agent.
Difference between IVR and ACD
- IVR may or may not be part of the ACD System.
- In IVR, the caller is offered options to select a desired department or function. In Automatic Call Distribution system, however, it is the system that intelligently decides to route the incoming call.
Advantages of using ACD
ACD systems have proved to provide better customer satisfaction that businesses across the globe that utilize contact centers have implemented ACD to improve their customer experience. Some of the benefits of ACD are:
- Speed – It is so far, one of the fastest technologies in the domain of customer services. The system responds within seconds to pre-qualify the call. This way, the caller’s wait time is drastically reduced and improves the responsiveness of your business. Not only do you have lesser chances of losing out on a lead; you can impress the customer with a speedy response.
- Enhancing the productivity of your employees – Businesses need to realize that the Automated Call Distribution method not only is a boon for your customers but also your internal agents. This is primarily because the caller is put directly onto the agent who has the expertise in the required domain. Thereby, no time is wasted in first apprehending the issue and then deciding who the right person is to take the call.
- Reduction in downtime – Another major benefit of the ACD system is that the business resources are used to the optimum extent with only such agents getting the calls who are equipped to answer and resolve the queries. The call handling is done faster, which helps improve the call resolution rates – this is a critical factor for organizations that are focusing on improving their customer services.
Overall, the use of ACD helps in the overall improvement of the use of company resources and thus, offering a professional and consistent experience to the customer.
Application of ACD
- Automatic Call Distribution system works exceedingly well for call centers. Since call centers are focused on streamlining the external communication system of an organization, ACD helps in reducing downtime, putting callers on hold, or disconnecting the call.
- ACD is a technology that is boosting the banking sector. Banks, as we know, have departments and sub-departments and handling customer queries is a big-time concern area for banks. ACD can do wonders by connecting the right caller to the right agent or department.
- ACD is a big help for the Supply Chain departments. The system helps in making the collaborative efforts between the logistic chain, the delivery units, suppliers, employees, and customers efficient and productive.
- ACD proves to be a blessing for Emergency Services like paramedics, police, fire-fighters; and so on. This is one department where the response needs to be critically urgent. ACD rises to the opportunity strikingly well because the system is smarter and the response times are shorter.